Web design refers to a computing field in computer technologies dealing with the actual design of websites that are hosted on the internet. A person technically inclined to design elements of a website is known as Web designer. A professional web designer can design a website that is fully functional, easy to use, responsive and appealing for the user. There are two common methods for designing Websites which include responsive design and adaptive design. Content navigates dynamically depending on screen sizes in responsive design, while in adaptive design, content is mapped according to layout sizes that match common screen sizes. A consistent layout can be preserved between devices because it is crucial for the end user.
A responsive design can exhibit difficulties, so under these circumstances, the designers must thoroughly relinquish control of the appearance of their work. If designers are responsible for content creation, they may further advance their computer skills to enjoy full control of the end product. Appearance together with functionality should be considered in the design process. Integrating these elements will maximize the Site’s overall usability and performance. Usability of the web page contains properties such as well-structured text, colorful scheme, easy interface navigation, good implementation of graphics and image insertion. Performance refers to search ability, speed, ranking, and ability to capture your audience. Webs are usually created using a Markup Language known as Hyper-Text Markup Language or HTML.
Web pages are created by designers using tags that define metadata and content of each page. The layout/appearance of the pages are typically designed using Cascading Style Sheets and CSS. Mostly, pages include a combination of both HTML and CSS that defines the appearance of each page while displaying on a browser. Images must be separately created, therefore, Graphic design may overlap with Web design, since Graphic designers create images for use on the Web. Good design will satisfy search engines, attract your customers, and avoid technical glitches, all of which will lead to a good User experience which will keep customers coming back. The design involves numerous components, each having a unique task, working in uniform to complete the final experience of a Web page. These elements are crucial in determining how the web behaves on different devices.
Elements of Web design of a website are classified as follows;
1. Layout refers to the way in which you arrange each page. The goal here is for Users to find the information they require at a quick glance, rather than having to search around the page. It’s necessary to keep the layout relatively consistent throughout the entire design. It’s also a good idea to consider the layout of your mobile Web page, as many users now access sites via their Smartphone or Tablet.
2. Color refers to the color scheme you choose for your site. A set of colors that complement your site’s image should be chosen and inform users what you are selling, or part of your branded color scheme. It can convey personality, mood and create an atmosphere for your Web that can either hold users or turn them away.
3. Graphics is a term that refers to a field that is used to make a Web page more lively, for example, photos, logos, icons and clip art. The graphic design should be chosen carefully to make them consistent with the rest of the design. They should also be chosen on the basis that they reflect the personality of the company, just like the color scheme does. Pictures and other graphics, such as graphs, can often be a powerful way to convey a message or other information instead of simple text depending on the industry best suited for. However, it’s always important that graphics and pictures are of a good quality because screens continue to improve their resolution.
4. Fonts: Different types of fonts are used Worldwide by web designers during web page design. Only a handful are used that are really optimal for website appearance. Sans-serif fonts are accepted Worldwide because they are conspicuous for reading purposes. It’s important to choose a Font that reflects the image that you want to express. Font sizes are changed to meet the required size of a sentence.
5. The Content of the Web works together with the design to complete the Company’s message. Written text should be relevant, useful and optimized for search engines. This means that relevant key terms can be incorporated into your website to make it appear at the top of the list when people search for resources that relate to your site.